Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Psalm 3

1¶ LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.

  • (see 2Sa:15) Absalom, David's son, rose up against him to take both his kingdom and his life. David set a good example for us all by casting his cares upon the Lord.

  • Oftentimes we may seem to have many troubles or many against us (and there are many against us – powers and principalities that we cannot even see! Eph 6:12)

  • The very first thing to do when trouble comes against us is to go to the Lord.


2 Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.


  • When we have troubles, the world says that it is our fault, and that trusting God is pointless.

  • Note that the word, “selah” occurs approximately seventy times in the book of Psalms. One of the commonly accepted possible meanings for selah is that it has something to do with the music that went with the psalm, but another commonly accepted idea is that it means, “Stop here and think about it.” It makes sense in the concept to accept that meaning.


3 But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.


  • God's children KNOW that he is there for us and that he will protect and comfort us.


4 ¶ I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.


  • When we who trust the Lord pray, we KNOW that he listens to us. Think about it.


5 I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.


  • David was in big trouble, but he laid down and slept, and awoke again alive and healthy – it is unusual for someone who is in serious trouble to sleep, but when we trust in God, we can sleep in peace knowing that we are safe in the hands of God.


6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.


  • We can completely trust God and be at peace no matter what or who is against us. God is greater than all. When the king of Syria surrounded Dothan, the city that Elisha and his helper were in, his helper was surprised at Elisha's peace and fretted about the situation they were in: And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha. 2Ki 6:17 God's power and strength is all around us all the time.


7 Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.


  • David remembered with joy what God had already done for him; we need to remember and to remind ourselves (and ask God to remind us) in times of trouble and struggle what God has already done for us.

  • David's prayer was not a plea for God to do something unusual, but a prayer of confidence that comes from knowing God.

8 Salvation belongeth unto the LORD: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah.


  • Salvation comes only from God through the Lord Jesus Christ. ( John 14:6) It belongs to him and those who trust in him also belong to him (he paid for us with his blood), are his people, and are blessed by him. Stop and think about it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home